A habit of using recliners is something you cannot give up that easily. The impeccable comfort and features make people all around the globe adore their recliners. If you have a recliner, you know how amazing it feels to sit in one.
These wonder-chairs take up the same space as a wing chair, but the experience is far better with recliners. You can fit them anywhere, from your living room to your workspace; they are suitable for all kinds of settings.
However, after heavy usage, the recliner might start to vitiate and probably lean towards one side, which could be discomforting. However, don’t worry, as this article will walk you through all the ways you can repair tilted recliners.
As mentioned, once you get the hang of your wonder chair, it is hard to accept the normal ones. Regular usage can spoil the recliner and your relaxing experience. As a result, your recliner might start to lean on one of its sides.
Furthermore, a tilting or leaning recliner would not even be half as comforting as the straight one. Fixing or getting the recliner fixed is best in such a condition. However, before that, you should know the root cause of the problem.
There can be numerous reasons. Knowing the reasons helps to fix it better. Sometimes the issue is deeper than it appears; call a professional in such a case. Doing this can prevent the recliner from any perpetual damage. Some possible reasons are:
- Weak Mechanism: A sliding frame is what makes the chair recline effectively. A broken or weak sliding frame can be one of the causes. It is advisable to check this primarily.
- Bumpy Floor: The second most common cause is uneven flooring. Check if the floor is irregular or jagged. In such a case, one leg of the chair could be high positioned than the other, further damaging the components falling in this line. Relocate the chair as soon as you notice. Replace parts if damaged.
- Poor Build Quality: Inexpensive lower models can be feeble; they might appear firm initially but can deteriorate in no time. It can be a cause too. Check if the recliner is in warranty and get it replaced at the earliest.
Tools play a major role in making the fixing process convenient for you. You might already have the relevant tools at home. However, if not, then you should purchase them. These tools are easily available both online and in local hardware stores. So, finding them would not be a problem. Some of the tools you cannot fix the leaning recliner without are:
- Oil: If you do not have the appropriate oil, there is no point in opening up the recliner. The whole point of fixing it is to grease the rusty components. Moreover, after greasing, you can easily work on them.
- Screwdriver: A screwdriver is a common household tool, and most likely, you might already have it. It is essential because you would have to screw and unscrew panels and joints.
- Wood glue: Only wood glue can hold back the broken and cracked parts of the mainframe. So this is a must to fix the recliner properly. Regular glue might look fine initially, but it is not efficient and would not even last long.
How to Fix a Leaning Recliner
Fixing a leaning recliner requires no superhuman powers. It is rather quite simple if you stick to certain steps. However, this doesn’t mean that you could be all flabby and careless. You have to be vigilant and strictly follow the below-mentioned steps in an orderly manner. Let’s fix that leaned recliner you have!
- Step 1: First and foremost, position the recliner in such a way that its wooden panel is accessible to you, meaning lift it and turn it upside down. Post the positioning unscrew the panel and the footrest.
- Step 2: The second thing you should do is to remove any hindrance around the frame. Meaning you have to remove the cover, any paddings to gain a better picture.
- Step 3: Take some newspapers and spread them on the floor. After this, take some oil and apply it to the rusty springs and joints, if any. That would grease the creakiness and make them efficient. Also, do not forget to wipe out the excess oil. Never leave it dripping.
- Step 4: It is essential to tighten any loose screws, joints or place back everything the way it was. Also, make sure to check that all springs are rightly positioned. Losing a spring or misplacing one can be the worst you can do.
- Step 5: Check to see if the frame is broken or if there are any visible cracks. If yes, replace them immediately.
- Step 6: As you pick out the parts, clean the parts and their place simultaneously. Doing this will enhance the performance of the recliner. Also, after cleaning and putting back the components, go through the manual and check if you are supposed to do something else.
- Step 7: Keep some wood glue handy because you might need it to put back and fix certain broken-disconnected wooden parts.
- Step 8: After you are done oiling and putting back the broken cleaned parts, crosscheck if you missed placing any component.
- Step 9: After a thorough check for parts and functioning, cover the wooden panel and put back the paddings and upholstery. Flip the chair back to normal!
Pro Tip: Take a picture of the recliner the moment you screw it open, so you know what goes where when you put the components back later.
Things to Remember While Fixing a Recliner
Before you attempt to repair your recliners, it is mandatory to comprehend a set of rules. If you follow the given rules, your whole fixing experience would be much safer and effective.
Now, the rules might seem obvious, but sometimes while working, we forget them. Let’s look at some essential things you should keep in mind while repairing a recliner:
- Do not be a miser when applying oil. For better movements and to ease the creakiness, oil is essential. That said, do not even go overboard with it. Excess can be harmful too.
- The moment you remove a component or screw, remember where and how it was. Displacing the components for each other would not fix your recliner. So, be careful.
- Ask a family member or friend to help you repair the recliner. It may seem easy, but flipping it upside down is not a one-person job.
- As soon as you screw it open, cleaning all the parts and removing dirt should be your priority. Cleanliness affects smooth working, which affects efficiency.
Professional Help: When to call?
As mentioned earlier, the recliners are pretty simple to repair. However, what if you can’t seem to fix the issue even after repeated trials and experiments?
Well, in such a case, it is best to turn to professional help. That does not stamp you as inefficient; it just means that it requires a more professional hand which apparently you are not capable of.
Regardless, always try to fix it yourself first. It is possible that it is an easy fix, and you can fix it on your own, which will save you a few bucks. Here is a list of issues that might call for professional help, have a look at them and know when you should call for help.
- Even after thorough checks, the root cause for the leaning remains unknown, and you cannot find it whatsoever. In such a case, call a professional.
- Identifying an issue can be tricky if you are not aware of the reason in the first place. So, call a professional when even the internet fails to help you in identifying the issue.
- Sometimes when there is no one around, fixing a recliner could seem impossible. In such a case, when you feel physically incapable of moving around the recliner, consider calling for help.
How to Avoid Such Problems?
The age-old saying has it; preclusion is better than cure. Now that you know what the possible problems are, what the causes are, and how to identify them, you can take some steps and do some things beforehand to prevent any such issue from occurring in the future.
Try to maintain its condition – the better you can, the longer its life would be. Check if it’s positioned on an even surface. Make sure the floor is not at all bumpy. If it is, relocate it. Place the recliner on an elevated surface. Doing this will even the weight distribution.
Conduct regular checks to keep the frame in the best shape. Schedule it weekly or monthly at your convenience.
And lastly, you can avoid all of it if you buy high-quality recliners from trusted brands. They might be slightly expensive, but they are worth it all!
There may come days when you would want to avoid the whole leaning issue, given it is so bothersome, but just hang on and do it for the sake of your comfort.
The problem appears to be bigger than it actually is. Therefore, be patient and sit through it while you repair the recliner. If you face any problems, follow the step-by-step guide given in this article and Voila!
You can always call a professional if you think it might be too much to handle. And lastly, follow the instructions to prevent your recliner from losing its comfort and luxury!